Friday, August 26, 2011

Finding Emacs - Orgmode and PDF, Text, Html export

v 0.2

I have really found Orgmode useful over the last year or so.  I learn a small bit of it as I go and I think it is one of the most useful tools out there.  I normally use the standard text export for its ease of use - it impresses people that you can produce a professional looking document with standard text.

First though, a couple of tips from the manual.  When you export, you can over-ride the defaults to produce the meta-data you want.  Simply make the first lines of the file something like:

 -*- mode:org ; mode:visual-line  -*-
#+STARTUP: indent
#+OPTIONS: H:4
#+TITLE: The Title I want On the Document
#+AUTHOR: Archer of Gorgon
#+DATE: Feb 31
#+EMAIL: archer@gorgon.org.gg


Formatting for HTML and PDF

When you write your orgmode document, make sure it is structured correctly, otherwise when you export to HTML or PDF, lines will run into each other.  I was writing lists of action items to myself such as:

Takeoff RWY 16 Mel
Dosel departure
Tcas event
STAR
RNAV FLS 34
Go Around
RWY 34 VOR  FLS
Land

and it would be exported under HTML and PDF to:

Takeoff RWY 16 MelDosel departureTcas eventSTARRNAV FLS 34Go AroundRWY 34 VOR  FLSLand

Not quite what I wanted.  What I should have done was to use the "table" function, with one cell per row or .. 

#+begin_example

#+end_example

Others are here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Easy-Templates.html#Easy-Templates

  
Export to PDF

Orgmode CANNOT export from EMACS to PDF by itself.  You need the "pdflatex" program.  I am using my Windows 7 desktop as my main machine, so I haven't checked with Mac or Linux however ... I installed MikTex and all was well .....  There will be equivalent packages ..

Utterly beautiful PDF files.

Note:  The first run, it will take some time however subsequent runs happen within seconds.


That is it.



Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment