Friday, June 20, 2014

Debian, PulseAudio and Skype

20 June 2014
v0.2

As I said in my previous post, I've upgraded my Father's computer to Debian Jessie, and in the process had a few problems with desktops, Skype and Audio (btw pulseaudio and Skype are also a problem in Wheezy).  I found many people having a problem getting sound on Skype and it was to do with PulseAudio.

However

Some research and thinking has somewhat cleared the mists for me.  PulseAudio presents itself as .. itself to sound device settings, rather than the individual device.  For example, you cannot tell which microphone you have selected in Skype when using PulseAudio.  Initially I found that Gnome 3 was the only desktop that enabled you to select the microphone input device and all was well.

But

Checking in the Debian package repository, there are several PulseAudio controllers, one of which is the PulseAudio System Tray .. pasystray.  THIS application lets you do the selections and it retains the selection across reboots, though only on the same desktop.  I've only tried it on lxde so far and have it as a startup application which appears as a dark speaker icon in the taskbar.  I'd suggest that it is just a matter of adapting it to whichever desktop environment you wish to use ....


Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment