Saturday, April 16, 2011

Asus Commando - cpu Update

The Asus Commando motherboard natively supports DDR2 800 memory and a 1066 FSB cpu speed.

However ......

If you update the bios (explained in a previous post) to the latest 1901 version, it supports a variety of Core 2 Quad 1333 FSB processors, and it does this very nicely.  How you may ask?  Well from what I can work out, it overclocks the North Bridge to allow the faster cpu speed, and in doing so, it also turns the DDR2 800 into DDR2 1000 memory.  A really good reason to buy quality memory.

Until earlier this afternoon, I had a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 gig 1066fsb cpu.  I searched for an instruction set to swap an LGA775 processor and fan.  Pretty easy to find - I'd suggest if you can't find the tutorial, you shouldn't attempt the swap.  Whilst the instruction set I found was great, I still needed a little bit of interpolation and thought to reach a successful conclusion.

So, with my replacement Core 2 Quad Q8400 in place, I started the machine - I had to enter the BIOS setup, exited and continued with the boot.  I then shut down and restarted.

Violas (a string section)

I now had a 1333FSB and the processor working properly, together with faster memory.

Done!

Did it make any difference?   You bet it did.

Later .....

No comments:

Post a Comment