Thursday, May 17, 2012

Debian - Package Management Atrocities

v 0.2
17th May 12

Flush with my success at installing "onEye" and a LAMP capability to my Wheezy server, I thought I'd have a look at the Citadel Groupware, provided in the "Main" Wheezy repository.  All went well, and I answered the configuration questions to the best of my ability.  I elected to use Apache as the web server rather than the internal one provided.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to run Citadel in the web mode (it ran fine in BBS command line mode).  It eventually turned out that the Webcit web client listens on port 8504 (from memory).  In any event, think carefully how you are going to use Citadel in concert with other web applications.

I decided to reconfigure the application and ran:
# dpkg-reconfigure citadel-suite

this did nothing and before I found out what I SHOULD have done, I ended up deleting some of the configuration files after mistakenly thinking I'd purged the whole thing.

What I SHOULD have done was:
# dpkg-reconfigure citadel-server citadel-webcit

Seems if I'd re-configured these packages that are called by the meta-package, all would have been well.  Lesson here.

note:  There may be some minor errors above as I've written it from memory, however the overall lesson remains.  look at re-configuring the correct packages ......


later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment