Friday, October 16, 2015

FreeBSD 10.2 - Accessing the DVD drive



16 Oct 2015
v 0.2
 
One thing I've found with the Internet - the information you seek is out there, it just requires patience to find it.  So it is with the use of the DVD drive on your FreeBSD installation.  I have a desktop FreeBSD 10.2 installation and until today have not really been able to use the DVD drive.  I knew it was largely a matter of permissions, and had been playing with the " fstab " file to see if I could remedy that.
 
Playing with the " fstab " file is NOT the way to use the DVD.
 
Edit these files to add these lines, assuming your DVD is device cd0:

rc.conf

hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"


devfs.conf

# Commonly used by many ports
link    cd0    cdrom
link    cd0    dvd
# permissions to allow cd use by normal user
perm    /dev/cd0    0666
perm    /dev/xpt0    0666
perm    /dev/pass0    0666
 
 
I have Gnome as my desktop, and as soon as I did this .. well ... 

Violas, I had a string section.


.......... later

No comments:

Post a Comment