Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Debian Squeeze Pt 3

 Grub
 After I managed to get my Lenny installation back into the Grub menu by using " update-grub ", I spent some time trying to work out WHY Grub in Squeeze didn't seem to correspond with that in Lenny.  Answer - Squeeze uses Grub2 .... well that is pretty obvious.  Instead of a Menu.lst file, there is now a Grub.cfg file that contains the parameters.  Grub.cfg says that the automatically generated part of the file should not be edited, however I see no other way to change the timeout value of the menu splash screen, or which distro is seen as the default.  More research.

grub.cfg notes.

Well, according to the notes, I can edit the file and change the timeout and default boot by a simple edit of two values.  So I opened the file ready to edit it and there at the top it told me to go to " /etc/defaults/grub " and edit the values in there.  Aha! Simple ..... change the timeout value, and put the LINE NO of the entry I want to be the default.  The first line being 0.  In my case, I wanted the 4th entry to be the default, so I set the value to 3.

done!

works a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment