Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finding Emacs - to Word Wrap or to Truncate

When I started using Emacs, which was only a few months ago when I discovered org-mode, I spent a little bit of time working out how to organise the word-wrap of text files.

The menu selection "Options>Line Wrapping in this Buffer" has the answer.
  • Truncate lines simply means that the line will continue until you terminate the line and you will only see a small amount of it in the window.
  • Visual Line Mode is what we typically think of word wrapping in the window.
  • Wrap at Window Edge is another line wrap mode which appears to work, however I prefer the previous two modes as I'm using the editor.
Remember, you will probably have to set the wrap manually.

.... unless .... you have learnt to set the modes and variables per file.

No comments:

Post a Comment