Sunday, February 27, 2011

Floppies and Evolution

 v0.2

About a week ago, I needed to check a 3.5 inch floppy disk .. I have a 3 gig pentium machine that currently dual boots several versions of Debian Linux and Windows XP - it is my old Flight Sim machine you see, for which I needed Windows.

Well, shock horror, the drive was... er ... distressed.

Fortunately, I have some other carcasses and spare floppy drives lying around - but it took me several attempts before I found one that was working.

Epiphany.  I have rather a large collection of 3.5 inch diskettes ( and 5.25, but that is another story).  I got to thinking that perhaps I better copy them now before they were lost forever.  Despite the fact that I have a 5.25 drive under my desk, I am not confident of having it in a working machine.

So, for the last few days, I have been making copies of data from my 3.5 inch floppy collection.  Hey, I realise that it is unlikely I will NEED the files on them, but .. well ... it is nostalgia.

And then I started thinking about DosBox.  Or even Virtualbox with FreeDos.


Update

On a hunch, I had a look at a "slot 1" carcass I'd been given to dismember.  YES!!  A 5.25 floppy connector.  Now to see if my dormant "B" drive can be coaxed to life.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment