Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Debian Wheezy in VirtualBox - Part 4

v0.2
Xfce

The first thing I'd like to cover is the customisations I did and why I did them.

I didn't like the desktop icons.  They were just yuk.  I found it difficult to open them - perhaps their target "doubleclick" area was too small.  So:
  • Application Menu > Settings > Appearance > Icons > Gnome
  • Much better
  • ps .. subsequently I had problems with the doubleclick ... right click and .. "open" .
Wallpaper - For the first time, I've found some really nice wallpaper in the default install.
  • Application Menu > Settings > Desktop
  • Choose your wallpaper
Yup, that's it.  They are the only two things I changed.  And I love the desktop.

I had a look at the Xfce website, and there are a couple of webpages that are REALLY interesting - additions to the basic install ......
Synaptic is your friend.


Other Stuff

I was going to leave this for a bit and round it out, however since I have a Licence renewal Simulator in a couple of days, perhaps I should concentrate on that.  Although this is fun as a diversion.

Looking at Xfce has made me keen to look more closely at the GnuStep Desktop, Lxde, Fvwm and a couple of others (including JWM and Fluxbox) to see just what we can do to make a nice easy desktop.  At the moment though, Xfce is just beautiful.



Later ...............

No comments:

Post a Comment