Saturday, January 28, 2012

Debian Wheezy - Web Browsers

v0.3.1

I've been working with Debian Wheezy with Virtualbox.  It occurred to me that I've long ago stopped talking about how to install Debian within VBox, and have transferred to talking about Wheezy itself.  Hopefully naming the posts about what they really are will be more productive.

Whilst purists might disagree, I think that using synaptic is a wonderful and easy tool to explore the world of Debian packages.  The sections are nicely laid out and it is easy to see which packages meet your search criteria .. and who knows, you might find some wonderful gem you never thought existed.

Take Web Browsers for example ......

When you search on that, some really interesting variants appear.
  • Chromium from which Google Chrome is derived.  And it accepts the Google extensions.
  • IceApe.  The Debian version of SeaMonkey which is the Mozilla version of Netscape.
  • Dillo.  It is a cool, FAST web browser.  Yes, a little basic but did I mention is is FAST.
  • Conkeror.  Emacs.  But this one does graphics.
  • W3m.  Emacs.  But this one doesn't.
  • Links2.  Just on 2 meg and it is not bad ...
  • Lynx
Whilst there are a few more, I just wanted to illustrate what you can find.  I know there are the standard Gnome and KDE browsers, but at the  moment I'm inclined to avoid them since upon installing them you are obliged to install the majority of the appropriate desktop and whilst this might be fine for you, that is not what I'm looking at here.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that the Debian repository of software is pretty extensive, and whilst I'd like to get back to configuring the overall system and finding those tips and tricks that seem elusive, there is so much to be found in Synaptic.


Later ........

Further to the above ....

I did of course negelect Debian's Firefox - IceWeasel which is provided in the latest variant.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment