Thursday, January 26, 2012

Debian Wheezy in VirtualBox - Part 6

v 0.2

I have to say that I'm really enjoying playing with Wheezy in Virtualbox.  It is letting me have a really good look at where things are going - although the downside is that it is too easy to just stop my work and have a bit more of a peek.  I'm no expert, however it is really interesting finding a problem and then seeing what information there is available to get around it.  It is made so much easier because I am starting with a solid base system that I'm not relying on that I can just incrementally improve.

On to what I have been doing ..

Documentation

There really is an amazing amount of documentation and how-to information available for Debian, not only on the Internet at large but also on the Debian Website and within the installation itself.  One example is the "Debian Reference" we installed in my last post. 

Another package to look at installing is the "menu-xdg" to compliment "menu", the Debian menu package.  I installed it thinking I would perhaps GET a Debian menu in Xfce, but not to be - I think I'll have to define a menu-hook for it and do it manually - but not right now.

" dhelp " is a package worth installing.  Once it is on your system, open a terminal and type " dhelp" .. it compiles a list of HTML documentation on your system and presents it in the default Web browser.

If you get really keen and open the file browser, look in " /usr/share/doc " .. a documentation package for almost every package you have installed .. even one that describes the Debian Menu system in detail.

Open Synaptic and search on "documentation" ... extensive stuff in the Debian Repositories.

Other places to find great stuff are The Linux Documentation Project , and the Rute User Tutorial , not forgetting the Linux Cookbook .  Of course, the Slackware Linux Book project is just wonderful, and I've really been impressed with the detail of the documentation at Gentoo Linux.

I think that is enough for today.



Later ...............

No comments:

Post a Comment