Monday, January 10, 2011

Server - Thoughts

v0.1

I've been finding my little eeepc server rather entertaining, and I'm learning a lot.

SSH

I can log in to the server from the local network and from the internet using my IP address, having port-forwarded the router ports.  Using the Secure Copy function of SSH I'm looking into copying files between machines.

IP Address

Dynamic DNS providers - the free accounts seem to expire if you don't use them for  a month or so, so that is a consideration.  If you don't turn your router off, then your IP address should stay the same and you can use that.

Opera Unite

Opera has what is effectively a free dynamic dns service together with FTP, Web servers, Media streaming, Web Cam broadcast etc through their web browser than I'm going to have a better look at.  It turns your computer into a server with no special configuration.  May well serve for what most people would find useful.

VNC

Definitely a function I need to investigate.  I did have a play with it a few months ago, but now is the time to get it resurected.


Some more later ........

No comments:

Post a Comment