Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Server - eepc - VNC

v 0.1
To achieve viewing a remote desktop, you need a VNC SERVER on the machine you want to view, and a VNC VIEWER on the machine you want to view with.

I had a look at a couple of tutorials and used a couple of VNC servers, however I found that TightVNC was the most successful.


So, on the eeepc Debian Squeeze setup:

# aptitude install tightvncserver
$ tightvncserver :1
$ tightvncserver -kill :1

I found there was an unusual problem with running Xfce4 and wanting to have Xfce4 on the VNC viewer.  I've included the link above that I found explaining this, however in the meantime, I installed Fluxbox and used that setup similarly to as explained in the tutorial ... except I had "fluxbox" instead of "gnome-session".

Now to run a session:

$ tightvncserver :1

Go to another machine, fire up tightvncviewer or "chickenoftheVNC" on the Mac, enter the IP address you want, and the screen then go.

(networkaddressofthemachine):(screennumber)
for example
192.168.0.15:1

A final note.

You'll observe that so far all this relies on there being a log-in on the server.  We shall get round this, but one step at a time.  It is also far from secure, just showing proof of concept at this stage.



Later .......

No comments:

Post a Comment